Mar 5, 2011

Healthy Eating

I love to cook. Do you know that? I love it. I love to find yummy recipes and whip 'em up in the kitchen. I also love to see Adam happily scarf down what I've cooked. It's a great feeling. :)


Anyway, we both have been wanting to eat healthier. Not like super, diet, eat-only- cardboard, healthy, but we want to at least try to eat some meals that are better for you than the go to spaghetti and meat sauce. 


Sooo...before I grocery shopped last week, I scoured the internet for some yummy, healthier recipes. And found this site. Eating Well.


And these yummy recipes:


Maple Chili-Glazed Pork Medallions




Mary's Zucchini with Parmesan (side dish)


Quick Chicken Cordon Bleu


And Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes



So far we have eaten the twice baked potatoes and the parmesan zucchini. The potatoes were a HUGE hit! I used ground turkey, lots and lots of broccoli, and light sour cream. I was worried at first, that only one potato a piece for us wouldn't be enough. Boy was I wrong. Once I scooped out the potatoes, added lots of broccoli, meat, some sour cream, and some cheese, I had more filling than could fit in the potatoes. I stuffed the potatoes as high as I could, and we both had enough to eat. (BTW, I totally get that this isn't probably the "healthiest" of the above recipes, but with my modifications, I feel like it was a win.)


The parmesan zucchini was fantastic! Up until two nights ago, I had never cooked fresh zucchini. After realizing how easy it was, I can't believe I've never cooked it. Anyway, I did use fresh shaved parmesan cheese, which I think taste much much better than the powdery stuff.  We ate it with some baked chicken. Yummo! Overall, it was quick, super easy, and "healthier" than our usual sides of mashed potatoes and corn. 

I'll let you know how the other recipes turn out once I make them. For now, Adam, Jackson, and I are off to celebrate our niece's 3rd birthday! Happy Saturday!


Monica

1 comment:

  1. I am ALWAYS looking for new, good, "normal" recipes and this blog hit the spot! I incorporated ALL of your recipes into my menu plan this week, and so far so good. The Chicken Cordon Bleu has been my favorite so far. SO GOOD. I am making the potatoes meat free for our Ash Wednesday meal tomorrow night. Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete